Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to sync
Hello,
I sent you an email about a link not working that you referred me to in a prior email, and you responded back asking me to ask the question here, so here it is: 

I am trying to sync my inventory between 2 devices. You referred me to the following link: http://classadlister.com/support/showthread.php?tid=2&pid=12#pid12 

When going to that link, I get an error message so my issue is still not resolved. I didn't know about this forum until you sent me that link, so I went ahead and created a login, however I'm still getting the same error which reads:  

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
  1. Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
  2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
  3. Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
  4. You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.
Please let me know how I would go about syncing my devices.
Thank you! Smile
I took it down because this method is very troublesome. If you aren't VERY careful it can cause data from one database to overwrite data in the other database when you don't want it to.
I do not recommend this method anymore, but in case you are interested here is the original post.

I tried several options to make ClassAdLister load the database directly from the "Real" phone's external storage with no success while running ClassAdLister in Bluestacks. Unfortunately there are issues I am just not able to debug in BlueStacks 3N.

An option that has worked somewhat OK for me is to use DriveSync on google play. My database was way to large so I had to upgrade to the pro version but it was only $4.99.
I downloaded it from google play on my phone then again in bluestacks. DriveSync uses google drive as the cloud storage so I made a directory on my google drive storage called cal_db. When drivesync asks for the folder on google drive I chose that one.

The database folder location on the device is Android\data\classadlister\databases
It will sync the journal file also but it is really small.

In drivesync I went to the SYNCED FOLDERS tab and turned on two way sync. From the status page I just tapped the refresh button and it synced the database pretty quickly.

The issue with this method of course is you need to remember that if you are on bluestacks making changes, don't use ClassAdLister on your phone until the sync has completed from Bluestacks Drivesync->Drive and then your phone's Drivesync pulls it back down. Vice-versa if you then use it on your phone, make sure it has synced back to bluestacks before using it there. DriveSync's Sync history makes it really easy to keep track of what is going on. I.E. you may think you can make changes to both at the same time and then somehow it would magically merge the changes back together, but alas you would be very disappointed as you lose work. Wink To make it work that way requires a server based sync system that can do the merge. They do exist, but I haven't found one I like quite yet.
Not ideal I know, but is certainly a step up from using the backup/restore tasks in ClassAdLister.

The most peculiar issue I faced was when installing DriveSync on Bluestacks. It could not see any folder in Android\Data. I am not sure what is going on with that one. I installed OI File Manager and ES File Explorer and neither of those could see the folders under there either. The workaround was to go to My Apps in Bluestacks and run the settings app. In that app at the bottom you will see the word explore. That app can see those folders. Strange. Anyway, I totally deleted the entire Android\data directory from that app (Android\data. Then in OI File Manager created the "data" directory under Android. Then OI File Manager could see it. So, following along those lines I then created classadlister under data and then created databases under the classadlister folder. Low and behold DriveSync could see it just fine after that and after turning on two way sync and hitting the refresh button it created the classadlister.db file from drive. I then installed ClassAdLister from the play store and it worked fine on BlueStacks. All my data was there.
Again, this is not a great solution but it might help someone. I will continue to research either a better sync option that can merge the differences, or the best way to implement a multi-user database server or cloud storage option.
I love the nurserached name. Just finished that movie two days ago